- Introductions / intro to Culture / using the Flip cameras
- Presentations: Deaf people’s lives and challenges in the Gambia / Deaf Culture / Gambian Sign Language (GSL) as a developing language.
- Why communicate? Why interpret? What is the main purpose for an interpreter?
- Meeting with GADHOH trustees.
- Meeting with local Deaf people - what do Deaf people want from interpreters?
- GSL as a Visual language / SL to English continuum. (This has been their favourite session so far).
- Why need linguistic knowledge? What is an interpreter? How do you get the interpreters’ role, principles / code of ethics / code of practice to reflect Deaf & hearing people and interpreter views?
- GSL and interpreting – what Deaf people would like interpreters to know.
- English Linguistics / Text analysis / Register & Language style.
- Sign Language Linguistics
We also now have 40+ videos of 20+ Deaf people using GSL, a number of those videos also having live simultaneous interpreting, and video of the interpreters working into GSL.
And this is the gecko climbing up the outside of the fly screen on my window before dawn this morning.